Disability services: a guide for children with disability, ASD and additional needs

Disability services: a guide for children with disability, ASD and additional needs

Disability services for children: understanding the terminology

Disability services terminology can be confusing but over time you'll become more familiar with it. Here's a quick guide to some of the terms you'll come across most often if you have a child with disability, developmental delay, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or other additional needs.

Therapies or interventions
These are the programs or sessions aimed at promoting your child's development. Your child can get early intervention therapies in many ways and in different environments. For example, your child might be able to get therapies at home, child care or kindergarten, in a specialist setting, or even online or by teleconference.

Services or service providers
These are the people and organisations that offer therapies. They might provide one therapy or several types, as well as other services and supports for your child and family, like respite services, social and recreational programs or peer support programs.

Services might be specialist disability or early intervention services. This includes services that provide specialised support for people with specific disabilities like autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, hearing impairment and vision impairment.

Services might also be mainstream services that all families can use, like child and family health services, kindergartens, community health centres, regional parenting services, child care services, playgroups and occasional care.

Services fall into the following categories:

  • local, state and Australian government services and programs, which are usually provided free of charge
  • not-for-profit services and programs, which are mostly funded by government and are free, low cost or partly subsidised
  • private services and programs, which you have to pay for in full unless your child is eligible for financial support.

Disability professionals
The people in disability services are generally professionals with qualifications and experience in areas like social work, case management, disability support, community development, psychology, education, speech pathology, audiology, orthoptics, physiotherapy or occupational therapy. They should also be experts in child development.

What disability services and service providers do

Different disability service providers use different approaches, but almost all disability services and programs fall into one or more of the following categories.

Children with disability, developmental delay, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or other additional needs often benefit from a multidisciplinary team of professionals working together. This means you might find you're using services and programs from more than one of these categories.

These providers focus on teaching your child new behaviour and skills by using specialised, structured techniques. In this group, you might come across counsellors, psychologists, occupational therapists and developmental educators. A team of therapists might work with your child.

These providers tailor their teaching to your child's developmental stage. They can help your child learn to form positive, meaningful relationships with other people, focusing on teaching social and communication skills. Psychologists and developmental educators are examples of this group.

These providers focus on skills development and learning in a playroom, classroom or similar teaching environment. Examples are early childhood educators, special education teachers, education support staff and educational psychologists.

These providers include family counsellors and organisations that concentrate on the family unit. They also include developmental educators or other early childhood specialists, who can work with you, your child and your family.

These providers focus on treating the key medical aspects of your child's disability and managing any medication he uses. Examples are your GP and paediatrician, or medical specialists like cardiologists, neurologists or orthopaedic surgeons.

Respite services
Respite services give you a break from caring for your child with disability. Respite can include the time your child spends with support workers, or in social or recreational programs or activities. It can be for a few hours or for longer periods. Your child can be cared for in your home or elsewhere.

These providers offer specific therapies that target your child's individual needs. For example, if your child has difficulty with speech or communication, you might see a speech therapist. Other professionals you might come across include physiotherapists , occupational therapists and developmental educators.

You might also come across:

  • alternative therapies and non-traditional treatments like acupuncture, homeopathy or massage therapy
  • other interventions that sit outside the categories listed above - for example, music therapy and art therapy.

And you might find that some services and service providers take a combined approach. An example of this is professionals like speech therapists and psychologists working together and using both behavioural and developmental approaches.

If your child has autism spectrum disorder (ASD), our Parent Guide to ASD Therapies offers reliable information about a wide range of interventions. Each guide gives an overview of an intervention, what research says about it and the approximate time and costs involved.

Finding disability services

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a good place to start. You can phone the NDIS on 1800 800 110.

If your child is aged 0-6 years, you don't need a diagnosis to get support through the NDIS's early childhood early intervention approach. You'll work with an early childhood partner who can:

  • provide you with information
  • connect you with mainstream services like community health services, playgroups or peer support groups
  • provide some early intervention, like speech therapy or occupational therapy.

If your child needs longer-term support, the early childhood partner can help you request NDIS access. If your child is eligible to join the NDIS, your NDIS early childhood partner will work with you to develop an NDIS plan for your child.

If your child is 7 years or older and is eligible for the NDIS, you'll meet with a planner or local area coordination partner to develop an NDIS plan for your child. The plan will include NDIS-funded support like therapies, technologies or equipment to help your child with daily living activities, or modifications to your home.

Other good places to find out about services are:

  • your GP or other health professional
  • your local council
  • Centrelink
  • early intervention service providers
  • state government disability services, or autism associations and websites
  • disability-specific organisations and websites
  • MyTime groups - organised groups for parents, grandparents and carers of children and teenagers with disability and/or chronic illness
  • other parents.